Saturday, October 16, 2010

Autumnus Scarf

This past summer my husband and I paid a visit to Gig Harbor, WA.  We came across a yarn store that was closing down and having a sale.  There wasn't much left when we stopped in but I found a couple skeins of Malabrigo Aquarella in a color I thought only I could love.  I had to buy it (and it was 60% off!).

After many failed attempts of making a scarf pattern that the thick and thin wool looked good with, I came up with this.... just in time for autumn....



 Autumnus Scarf

What you need:
  • sz 13 (9.0 mm) knitting needles
  • cable needle for bulky yarn
  • 2 skeins Malabrigo Aquarella wool or about 130 yards of any Super Bulky yarn
  • scissors
 Gauge:  
  • doesn't matter
 Pattern:
  • Cast on  12 sts
  • knit 2 rows
  • work 20 rows in stockinette stitch starting with a knit row 
Work Braid (8 rows):
1.  Slip 4 sts onto cable needle and hold in front of work.        Knit next 4 sts then knit 4 sts from cable needle.  Knit remaining 4 sts.
2.  Purl row
3.  Knit 4 sts.  Slip 4 sts to cable needle and hold to back of work.  Knit next 4 sts then knit 4 sts from cable needle.
4.  Purl
Repeat these 4 rows

After the 8 rows of the braid have been completed, work 20 more rows in stockinette stitch continued by 8 more rows of the braid, then 20 more rows of stockinette, etc.....   I worked 7 braids in total.  Finish by working 2 purl rows after a stockinette section and then cast off purl-wise.

~enjoy~

4 comments:

  1. Very clever. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I'm going to knit this. Thank you!!

    Caity

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I sell the scarf I make from this pattern? A friend of mine would like me to knit one for her.

    Thanks,
    Caity
    worstedwhimsies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete