Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Snow, Buns, Parsnip soup.... and if you're patient, A Toque!


We didn't even make it to November...





For some people, the first snowfall of the year can be depressing, summer is definitely over and fall quickly passed by, now all we get to look forward to for the rest of the year (and first 3 or 4 months of the next year) is unrelenting cold and snow.  I'm odd, 'cause today I was really happy and for no specific reason either.  I woke up, it was bright out (since everything is white) and it made everything seem so cheery.  Even while I was doing chores and painting door frames, I couldn't help but smile to myself.  I love my husband, I love my house, and now with the snow, it feels like Christmas is just around the corner.  I even asked my husband before he left for work if we could watch "A Very Merry Muppet Christmas" tonight but he said it was too early for that....

When my husband was leaving for work this morning, he said that he wouldn't mind if his wife made some buns today...... so I did.
For dinner tonight a perfect accompaniment for the buns (and the snow) would be soup.  But not just any soup.... Parsnip Soup, made with fresh homegrown parsnips from my parent's acreage.  
Here's my recipe.... serves 2 with leftovers for a lunch.
1 med onion,diced
2 stalks of celery,diced
1 garlic clove,roughly chopped 
1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger,finely chopped 
about 1 tsp of garam masala 
about 1/2 tsp of cinnamon                                           

-Throw all this in a pot with a tad of olive oil and a little butter, saute until onions soften and the kitchen smells wonderful.
Then add in...

2 large parsnips, chopped
about 500ml of stock (chicken or veg or a combo of both)
about 250ml milk (whole, 1%, 2%, skim, it really doesn't matter)

-Bring to a boil and then simmer until parsnips are tender. Blend it up however you have to resources to (I used an immersion blender but a regular blender would work just fine as long as it's done in a couple of batches).

-Garnish with some grated asiago cheese and ENJOY!

 

 Now for the toque..... 

I designed this super easy and quick to knit toque in remembrance of all those over-sized (for a child's head) toques that I had to wear if I was ever at my grandparent's farm in the winter.  I hated wearing them 'cause they were so boyish and way too big for me.  Since then, I have grown fond of those memories and I wanted a warm, over-sized hat to keep my ears warm (especially today) in colors that were not farm equipment compatible.

 

 Happy Acres Toque

Needle: size 13 (9mm)

Yarn: Super Bulky (I used a hand spun yarn) in 2 colors

Gauge: 5 sts & 6 rows = 2in. in stockinette stitch

Abbreviations:
        st(s) = stitch(es)
        k = knit
        p = purl
        k2tog = knit 2 stitches together

Pattern:    With first color CO 46 sts

        Row 1:  k2, p2 ribbing across row, end with k2
        Row 2:  p2, k2 across row, end with p2
        Continue these 2 rows for 3 inches

        The rest of the touque will be worked in stockinette stitch.

        Continue with Color A and work 4 rows.
        Switch to Color B and work 4 more rows.
        Back to Color A and work 4 rows.
        And again to Color B and work 4 rows.
        Switch back to Color A and work 4 rows 

(so far you have worked 20 rows in stockinette stitch)

        Start decrease...
        Row 1:  K2tog across (23sts)
        Row 2:  Purl
        Row 3:  K2tog across, K1 (12sts)
        Row 4:  Purl
        Row 5:  K2tog across (6 sts)

        Break yarn and thread through remaining sts, pull tight and sew seam.
       
        Make a pom-pom and attach to the top then wear with pride!

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say thank you for posting this toque pattern! I made two of them last night as last minute costumes for a Halloween party. (My boyfriend and I went as Waldo and Wenda from Where's Waldo.) Everyone loved our costumes, and it's all thanks to you. :)

    Sometime I'll have to try that soup recipe too- I've recently fallen in love with trying out new soup recipes.

    ReplyDelete